The resulting report was published in May 2002, but was criticized for not being sufficiently thorough. Thus, the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) declared that they were launching an investigation of their own.
The FEMA report should be regarded a provisional explanation of why all buildings in the World Trade Center complex were destroyed.
FEMA 403: World Trade Center Building Performance Study
This is the full report (298 pages).
- Chapter 1. Introduction
- Chapter 2. WTC 1 and WTC 2
- Chapter 3. WTC 3
- Chapter 4. WTC 4, 5, and 6
- Chapter 5. WTC 7
- Chapter 6. Bankers Trust Building
- Chapter 7. Peripheral Buildings
- Chapter 8. Observations, Findings, and Recommendations
- Executive Summary
- Appendix A. Overview of Fire Protection in Buildings
- Appendix B. Structural and Steel Connections
- Appendix C. Limited Metallurgical Examinations
- Appendix D. WTC Steel Data Collection
- Appendix E. Aircraft Information
- Appendix F. Structural Engineers Emergency Response Plan
- Appendix G. Acknowledgments
- Appendix H. Acronyms and Abbreviations
- Appendix I. Metric Conversions